I am filled with warm fuzzies right now.
Gwen, the incredibly insightful lady-mastermind behind the Little Growing Pains blog, has nominated me for the Sunshine Award. I haven’t been doing this long and am convinced that I haven’t even been doing this well, but here she is, making me feel like a million bucks.
In accepting this, I’ve been tasked with answering 11 pressing questions posed by Gwen. At the end, I’ll nominate 11 of my favorite blogs, and include 11 of my own questions.
(I’m going to get started now.)
1. If you could insert yourself (as yourself) into any literary world of your choosing, what would it be?
I want to live in Harry Potter’s world. Hogwarts is beautiful. There is butter beer. Spells. Neville. Longbottom.
2. Coffee or tea?
3. What is the WORST piece of advice you’ve ever been given?
To leave my number on that receipt for that waiter. I’m sure there was worse but I can’t remember.
4. Crumple or fold?
Fold, and then tear to bits.
5. If we were to go on a date (hypothetically), where would you take me and why?
A museum, and then to get coffee. I love museums and think they make great date spots (you can walk and talk and look and learn, and if you run out of things to talk about, hello! You’re in a museum. The convo topics are endless) and over coffee is the best way to get to know someone. Bonus: you can’t get drunk and make a fool of yourself by drinking coffee.
6. If you could go back in time ten years and tell yourself one thing, what would it be?
Stop being such a brat to your mother.
7. What is your favorite ice cream flavor?
Anything with chocolate. Preferably in multiple forms.
8. What kind of toothpaste do you use?
Crest 3D White.
9. Above all else, what are you afraid of?
The years of hard work and dreaming and planning and struggling never paying off.
10. So far, what has been your favorite age to be and why?
The age I am now (22). I have freedom, I’m young and single and meeting fascinating people and I love it. There are so many directions in which my life could go and that’s exhilarating. But also it’s terrifying.
11. What would you do if you knew you couldn’t fail?
I would start my own radio show. It would be like my blog but I would be talking and there would be less vanity because you can’t see selfies on the radio.
I have also been told to include 11 facts about myself. They are:
1. I worked for 3 summers as a tour guide at this silly little tourist attraction.
2. I have an incredibly low tolerance for pain. Just the anticipation of it has caused me to faint.
3. I play the saxophone, and feel fortunate to be able to say that for a couple of years I was a professional musician.
4. I’ve discussed cereal with Chris Matthews.
5. I do at least one crossword puzzle a day.
6. I speak French.
7. I used to have a pet rabbit named Liza Minelli.
8. When I was in 7th grade I started track, and I competed in high jump. I’m 5 feet tall.
9. I usually fall asleep whenever I watch a movie or TV show.
10. I am a complete and utter NPR junkie.
11. I have a black fleur de lis tattoo, the mark of the criminal in Alexandre Dumas’ The Three Musketeers. It’s my homage to French literature.
And now, for the people who bring a little sunshine to my own personal piece of the blogosphere:
1. Carley at Finding Gravity. I recently discovered her through my Twitter friend Holly. Funny, relateable, likeable.
2. Lyndsay and Dan from That 70′s House. It will likely be a good long while before I have a house of my own to re-do, and it’s fun to watch their journey (also a BIG CONGRATS on their current “project”).
3. Dannika, the smart-as-a-whip gal from the college where I spent my first year. I admire how steadfast she is to her beliefs, and the way she looks at things.
4. A Pretty Penny. She blogs about her flower shop, bargains, and style. Need I say more?
5. My favorite audiophile Marie. The girl has some damn good taste in music.
6. Thoughtsy. Anyone so open with their love for PopTarts deserves a Sunshine Award. She also writes a blog that’s funny as hell.
7. Read about Andrew’s journey to adopting a child here.
8. Sips of Jen and Tonic. The blog title is a play on my favorite drink. And she’s a great storyteller. What’s not to like?
9. Gillian at Fatshion Hustlings, whose candor inspires me.
I’m sorry there are not 11. I am not a perfect person.
And now for the questions.
1. What movie character would you want to be your real-life best friend?
2. What’s the best gift you’ve ever received?
3. What do you have on your refrigerator?
4. What is the last book you read?
5. What is your ultimate comfort food?
6. What cheers your up?
7. How soon is too soon to listen to Christmas music?
8. What is your favorite joke?
9. If you had to compete in a beauty pageant, what would your talent be?
10. Your childhood nickname?
11. How do you like to spend your days off from work?
Should any of you choose to participate, answer the questions, include 11 facts, and nominate 11 bloggers (or however many you’d like). I look forward to reading your posts! And thank you for sharing your writing talents.